Mahabharat in general fascinates me .. I try to read up as much as i can on it .. yesterday i came across Mahabharat by Peter Brook .. It was a 9 hour long play then converted into 6 hour mini series .. I caught on two parts of the mini series .. And I realised as an Indian how hard it is to sit through it .. Infact most of the time , i was working on something else , only to hear the audio .. Maybe we have grown up on these tales and also have a lasting impact of BR Chopra`s magnum opus , accepting an african bhishma pitahma is kind of difficult .. it did receive a lot of criticism from this part of the world too and i can see why.. Cast consist mostly of white and african actors who are good no doubt but for me , it is just plain weird .. kung fu master shiva fighting arjun or kurukshetra battle with sticks .. no grand indraprashta palace and lets not even go on Krishna..For us He is avtar if Vishnu and hence we are always biased but still the calm politician is no where to be seen .. Though i really enjoyed bits and pieces of it specially duryodhana`s angst after coming back from indraprastha and the background score.
Everytime i read something on mahabharat a new light is thrown on it ..I see something i missed the previous time..Same way i could have never imagined or thought mahabharat like this .. I am not sure if i will go back to see the last part of it or not but it defiantly is something different ..
p.s - pre conceived thoughts/imaginations and images are hard to break ..
No comments:
Post a Comment